Research Scientist jobs at International Vaccine Institute – Gwanak-gu, Seoul, Korea
The International Vaccine Institute is a non-profit independent international organization which was initiated by UNDP and is concerned with research and development of new and improved vaccines for use primarily in developing countries. For more information, please visit www.ivi.int.
The candidate will be engaged in activities under the Policy and Economic Research (PER) Unit, under the Translational Research Division. The PER Unit includes three full time staff as well as one part-time administrative person. As the lead person for the PER unit, PER Unit Manager is responsible for managing and supervising one other Associate Research Scientist and one Research Associate. The Unit has a mandate to develop policy-based research, and to assist in policy formulation on vaccine development, introduction and financing, among the international community, governments, and other stakeholders, including pharmaceutical companies and non-government agencies in the IVI member countries. The PER Unit works closely with the operations units of the Translational Research Division and the Dengue Vaccine Initiative program, on their needs, such as developing proposals for conducting policy-based research, assisting in conducting the research and its analyses. Some areas of research include innovative financing strategies, assessments of global vaccine demand and supply, provider payment systems and pricing strategies, willingness to pay studies, and cost of interventions or control of illness. The PER unit also conducts field investigations of the costs of vaccine-preventable illness and costs of vaccine delivery as well as economic valuations of vaccine benefits (e.g., willingness to pay studies). Further, the PE is also engaged in the development of instruments and tools for preparing investment cases/feasibility analyses and monitoring, including using various economic tools, such as cost-effectiveness analyses, economic impact studies, and others as needs arise.
- The candidate will manage the PER Unit, which consists of two additional, full-time employees at present.
- The candidate will use various economic tools to conduct economic analyses, such as, cost-effectiveness, cost-benefit, economic impact, and others.
- The candidate is expected to design and conduct cost-effectiveness analyses for various interventions to control and prevent the spread of diseases, such as cholera, typhoid, and dengue, among others. These interventions include routine vaccination programs, school-based programs, community-based campaigns, and other non-vaccine related interventions. The data will be collected from IVI designated field sites for ongoing and new study sites.
- The candidate will be responsible to design and conduct field studies, analyze results, and to write reports and/or articles.
- The candidate is expected to work in teams, and to be engaged with researchers from IVI, from in-country counterparts, and from other international organizations in writing proposals, designing and conducting studies that consider demand analysis, pricing strategies, and other areas of health systems and budgetary and policy implications related to new vaccine introduction.
- The candidate will be engaged in conducting literature reviews and writing up summaries, developing economic models and simulating its results to assess the situation with sensitivity analyses.
- The Staff is encouraged to publish articles in reputable journals and to present at international conferences.
- The Staff is expected to prepare lectures, and to lecture in courses such as that offered by IVI, and where IVI is administering courses at the Seoul National University.
- The Staff is expected to travel outside Seoul to many of the IVI field sites as required.
- The candidate will support PER unit staff by providing direction, advice and feedback
- Other activities as requested by the Director of the TRD.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Desired Skills & Experience
- Candidate should have Ph.D. degree with 5+ years of experience in related field
- Must be fluent in English
- This position requires both international and domestic travel